Thursday 25 August 2011

First post

I think it is time for my first post.  So how are the preparations going... CHAOS and MADNESS!!

For the uninitiated the basics first.  I am planning a solo motorbike adventure from the UK to  South Africa via the western route (see map).  I have given myself about five months to do this.  With a months grace at the end in case things really go wrong.  This will be my first proper big motorbike adventure.  I've only had the bike for about a year, and my license for just more than that.  I really was a rookie when I started preparation for all of this.  I have done as much as possible during the last year to prepare myself for 5 months on my own on a motorbike.  Just hope it is enough.  The last three weeks have been spent exclusively to finish my preparations.  Thought it would be more than enough time and I would have a nice chilled out time doing the last few things.  Not the case.  I have been busy everyday from early morning till late in the evenings. It is a completely different ball game to do all the prep by yourself.  Having someone to share the load with would have made it so much easier.  But hey, alone is my choice!!

Admin has been my biggest headache. Everything takes so much longer than expected.  Tasks that I thought would take a few minutes, consumed a whole day and sometimes more than that.  Never thought it would be such hard work to get my live to the point where I can leave it alone for six months,  but its done... Whoop Whoop.  (Yes, it would have been easier if I was more organised.. HAHA)

Even setting up this blog has been a nightmare.  Supposed to be so easy.  Choose a name, template etc and it all gets done for you.  All you have to do is start writing.  Whatever.  Nothing worked the first time, Google maps lost half my route, photos wouldn't embed, spot wouldn't send my OK messages.  Hours and hours later, it finally sort off works.

So what's next?  Why am I still here?  Two things: Nigerian Visa and GPS.  I managed to drop my GPS about two weeks ago.  Broke the screen. There is no way I am doing this alone without a GPS.  So phoned my insurance explained my whole predicament and they promised me quick service. Fixed within a few days they said.  Liars.  I am still waiting for them to try and fix it.  Have no idea when it is going to be ready.  Daily phone calls have done nothing but frustrate me.  They do not give a shit!!  Fingers crossed its ready soon.
I planned on getting most of the visas I need along the way.  Easier and cheaper. The Nigerian visa is supposed to be difficult to get so I decided to try and organise it in the UK.  I even paid a visa agency to do it so I can use the time more productively.  Quick result I expected?  Not even close.  Has been rejected twice. Ouch!!  No major reasons for rejecting it,  all minor nit picky things.  First time was because I only had the original of a specific document and not the original plus a photocopy.  Am I the only one who knows how to photocopy... It would have taken the visa agent or the Nigerian consulate 2 minutes to make a photocopy... Grrrr!!!   Next time was because I didn't already have the visas for the countries before and after Nigeria.  But they are tourist friendly.  I don't need them before my trip started.  So two long letters to the consulate to explain it all, and application going in again today.  Fingers crossed. Again.  Third time lucky?

Planning hasn't all been bad though.  I Loved working on the bike.  My own little project.  I loved riding trails on the bike, and I loved reading other peoples accounts of the same trip.  I am super excited about all of this and can't wait to hit the road!!


1 comment:

  1. So vreemd jou stem
    Uit 'n ander tyd...
    Op die drempel
    Van groot avontuur!
    Nou staan jy hier
    'n leeftyd later
    Nie kwater
    ten spyte van al die water
    Onder jou lewensbrug :)

    ReplyDelete