Saturday 3 September 2011

Africansuper tramp my a**!!

So day two finished.  How do I feel how?  How is it so far?

Combination of massive disappointment and pure relief.  I tried very hard not to get too excited about the trip before it actually happened.  So I thought that the moment I leave it will all hit me and I'll be absolutely ecstatic.  I was so wrong...

The tyre saga :
To make a long story short, I need to put a new set off tyres on in Morocco.  I've read on the forums that lots of guys DHL their tyres across, so I though great plan.  Just more than a week ago I took the tyres to DHL and they quoted me more than £200.  ''No way,''  I thought. They are not even worth that much.  I'd rather load them myself,  and carry a bit off extra weight to Morocco.  Big mistake.  Bike was sooo top heavy.  The first time I stopped to fill up it wouldn't stay on the side stand, wanted to fall over.  Some stranger actually helped me put the bike on it centre stand.  Dangerous!!  So after some soul searching and swallowing my pride, I loaded the tires off at DHL.  My safety is more important than £200. 

Between the tyre sage and getting the weight off my luggage completely wrong I was actually gutted when I left London.  Bike was handling like a beached whale.   Months off planning for what??

After DHL I hopped on the overnight very at Portsmouth.  Slept on the floor with my jacket for a blanket.  Everything was locked up with the bike in the cargo hold.  Arrived in St Malo this am and hit the road to Bordeaux.  Arriving in Bordeaux,I spent about 2 hours trying to find the campsite.  Google maps and my GPS both sent me to different places, neither off wich was the campsite,  Found it by accident just as I was about to give up and look for a hotel.  How ironic.

Pure relief because I was desperate to hit the road.  Scared something was going to stop the trip from happening.  Mentally, I was ready to leave weeks ago.  The relief came today, when it sunk in that I have actually started my adventure.  Nothing to cure the blues like a good day on the road.  Nothing exciting, miles and miles of tarmac.  But I did good miles, and the bike runs like a dream. Every bit gets me closer to Africa!!!  Today was the first time I actually got some butterflies, feels good.

Worst part for the last few days : Weight issues.
Best part :  First shower and beer after 36hrs of traveling.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Henri,
    The blogs are wonderful! Keeps us in the loop, helps us to journey with you. The spot tracker is also fantastic as we follow your route. How many kms did you manage?
    Snr

    ReplyDelete