Tuesday 13 September 2011

A very close call

(Hisham just for you)

One of the many things a traveller to a third world country is warned about is the effect the local food is going to have on your stomach.  There are loads of warnings about how many times everything should be washed, a long list off things to avoid, don't eat form this place, be careful of the markets, blah blah blah, and also plenty of stories off people who ignored these warnings.

My saving grace has always been my strong stomach.  I can eat nearly anything, and mostly I am ok.  I have never had proper gastroenteritis where you hang around the bathroom not knowing what's going to happen next, and I have never vomited from eating dodgy food.

My usual approach is to gradually eat the local food and not worry to much (I do try and eat safe, but am not super pedantic about it).  Yes, my stomach might feel a bit funny for the few days, but my theory is the quicker you get your body used to the local foods the better.  So after spending hours looking for accommodation in Rabat, I was famished.  I hit the market like it was my first food in days.  The smell off all the different foods was just way too enticing.  I was on about my third snack when it dawned on me that I completely forgot about food safety... pretty much to late.

By Sunday I was feeling horrendous.  Had the worst stomach cramps ever, was feeling super nauseous and my body was so sore and weak I could barely get out off bed.  The slightest movement and I broke out in a cold sweat.  All I could think was 'YOU STUPID IDIOT.'  I had to go apply for my next visa on Monday.

Luckily, by Monday I was feeling loads better and it was quick to hand in my visa application.  The smell off the market still made my stomach want to do a backwards somersault, but by the evening I could manage a restaurant meal.  Am fine today, and the market foods smell fantastic again.  This time I will be more careful. Lesson learned... AGAIN!!  (I could so easily have been ill for days)

Rabat is a beautiful and very relaxed coastal city.  It was nice here, and a good starting place, but this is a 2-3 day city.  Not 5-6 days. I have seen everything multiple times, and everything that is here I will be along the way on a much grander scale (like Fess and Marrakesh).   Was fantastic to chill out on the beach,  but I always had this nagging feeling that it time to move.  Obviously,  I am now again very desperate to move on.  Fess, the Atlas mountains, the Sahara and Marrakesh are waiting.  Should have my visa for Mauritania and the new tyres tomorrow.  If I get the tyres changed quickly enough I might leave in the afternoon for Fess, otherwise early Thursday morning.  Fingers crossed Africa's time scale agrees with mine.

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy Marrakesh Henri.....please can you bring me back some 35 spice....it's delish!!
    sally x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henri. Tel asb vir Soutie 'n tagine pot op langs die pad. Dankie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henri, sal jy asb vir my een van daardie houtkamele kry vir my tuin en saambring? Een van so 2m sal reg wees. Thanks buddy, Tonie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ek hoor Morocco het die mooiste materiaal, kan jy vir my 'n stukkie lap terug bring van so 10x10 meter? Jy kan die houtkameel daarin toe draai. haha!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny guys. Am more than happy to bring you any gifts you want, if you invent a tardis shrinking thingy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOLing! I'm glad you're better and thanks for sharing the story (and shout out).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. My name is Abdullah. I have family in Rabat. Please give my cousin Bousselham ride to Europe on your motorcycle so he can come work in my shop in Birmingham. Also bring me lantern for my house so my wife Cherifa can see food in my kitchen.
    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete